Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

What measurements to consider when it comes to Google Analytics and your blog

I would first like mention that I ran into some hiccups in my first couple weeks using Google Analytics. After my first time installing the tracking code, it took over 12 hours before I started receiving data. The few times I logged back in to check my data, Google Analytics reported that the “tracking code was not installed.” Each time, I reinstalled the code and the site began receiving data again. So my data has undoubtedly been underreported.  For the time being the problem is resolved, and although it has been a minor source of frustration, it is a learning process!
Below I will list a few measurements that caught my eye when tracking the progress of my personal blog (the one you are reading right now)  
In these early stages of my blog, promotion has been on the light side. I’ve sent out a few emails to friends and family notifying them of them of the blog, and I’ve posted a couple links on social media. As you might imagine, my number of unique visitors thus far is quite low. So at this point, this measurement is a signal of my lack of promotional support if anything. So, what I thought would be a more reliable indicator of site success in these early stages is average visit duration.
Average visit duration can answer a few very important questions. First, am I reaching out to the right audience in terms of my promotional activities? In other words, when I tell people to check out my blog, do they end up liking it? Or maybe you have the right audience but your content is not up to par. If your content is not holding the attention of your audience then average visit duration will decrease drastically.
However, my average visit duration was 00:00:00, which I was not particularly enthused about until I started doing some research on the measurement. According to experts, for Google Analytics to accurately capture average visit duration, it needs to record at least two timestamps. One time stamp is recorded at the beginning of the visit and the next time stamp is recorded when the user clicks to another page. (Wedderburn, 2013) So, theoretically, some of my users visit times could have been counted as zero because they only viewed one page. Even if they spent 5 minutes reading a post and never clicked to another page,  this is counted as a bounce and recorded as zero on average visit duration.
This also explains why my bounce rate was 100%. If you look at how a lot of blogs are organized, a reader could read every post of your blog and still spend their entire visit on only one page. This is because all the posts appear on one page, you simply scroll down.
So how do we start getting better data in terms of average visit duration? My first thought is to organize your blog in a more interactive fashion that encourages users click on another page. Whether it means limiting your homepage to one post with other posts as links on the sidebar, or creating email subscription and comment pages, it will encourage more page views and start giving you more accurate data regarding average visit duration.
Source/Medium
I found the source/medium function to be a great resource to track the origin of your web traffic. Viewing your traffic in this way allows you to see what channels are responsible for the visits to your site. Are they coming from sites on which you are promoting your blog? Or are they coming from a source that is otherwise unknown to you? In my case, the source/medium measurement revealed that promotion via social media accounted for the majority of traffic to my blog. This is considered referral traffic.
Traffic sources can be broken down into three major traffic categories; search, referral, and direct. Search traffic comes from search engines. Refferal traffic is caused when someone clicks on a link to your site. Direct Traffic comes from individuals entering your URL directly. (Using google analytics, 2013)  Google Analytics will indicate in a percentage how much each source is responsible for site traffic.
Again, it comes down to the principle of accountability. Am I putting my time and resources in the right place? Are my marketing activities paying off? Source information is extremely valuable in answering these questions.
Social Reports
As I was looking into traffic sources I also came across the social report function. Social reports allow you to determine how many people are finding your blog via social media sites. Looking at social reports can give you valuable information on the effect of specific campaigns executed through social media networks.
I was drawn to this metric because social media can seem like a challenge when it comes to measuring ROI. Devoting time and money to these “gated communities” can sometimes seem like a toss up. To some degree, with Social Reports Google has addressed this issue. Giving us real time data regarding the contribution of social networks to our blog sites, shedding a little more light on the social media world.
Keywords
Another area of Google Analytics that I think is extremely valuable in the development of my blog is the keyword function. Although I haven’t received any specific keyword data at this time, I am closely monitoring the report. Once I start receiving organic keywords that were searched to arrive at my blog, I will start getting a better idea of the issues that people want to read about. How can I give the people what they are they looking for? The more closely my content caters to these keywords the higher my blog will appear on search engine results. 
The fact that I am a beginner to web analytics and SEO, and that it is a complex and evolving topic, the keywords function becomes a helpful resource. Are their innovations and schools of thought that are new to me? Is my terminology and phrasing on point? Studying keywords and making sure you are seeing results via Google Analytics is a great way to stay up to date and informed on your topic.
Wedderburn, J. (2013). Meaning of 00:00:00 visit duration. Retrieved 25 November 2013 from http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/analytics/GLFvjrucTME

Side Income Blogging. (2013). Using google analytics on your your blog: Traffic sources. Retreived 25 November 2013 from http://sideincomeblogging.com/analytics-for-your-blog-traffic-sources/

No comments:

Post a Comment